Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Extra Effort (1", 1%, or 1°) Makes all the Difference

I remember watching my Mom cook when I was younger and occasionally I would help out. I always thought it was interesting to watch the hot water on the stove in preparation to dumping in the pasta noodles. As the water would get hotter and hotter, little bubbles would form on the bottom of the pot and then they would begin to release and float upwards. This continued until more and more bubbles were release and the pot would come to a "rolling boil". This was the point that the water became hot enough to cook with.

I came across the following site www.inspireyourpeople.com a few months ago and the principle behind its message resonates very well with me, so I wanted to share.


Here are two quotes that express my thoughts related to giving the extra effort required to make change happen.

"No one ever attains very eminent success by simply doing what is required of him; it is the amount and excellence of what is over and above the required, that determines the greatness of ultimate distinction." Charles Francis Adams 1807-1886, American Statesman, Diplomat

"All endeavor calls for the ability to tramp the last mile, shape the last plan, endure the last hours toil. The fight to the finish spirit is the one... characteristic we must posses if we are to face the future as finishers."
Henry David Thoreau

Excellence is not achieved by just having talent and skill, but through the ability to get up one more time when we are worn out, to go the extra mile in helping a stranger, to give the extra degree of effort to finish a task ... to do whatever is hard, especially when we are ready to give up. Time to turn up the Heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment