Tuesday, January 26, 2010

FEAR - Friend or Foe? (Cont.)


When I think of the struggle in overcoming challenges in the pursuit of personal excellence, I think of the movie scene from Rocky III where Rocky is training with Apollo Creed for the big fight against Clubber Lang. Rocky has become used to living large and has lost his edge which helped him defeat his past opponents.
He doesn't really have the "Eye of the Tiger" anymore. The scene I am referring to is with Rocky and Adrianne on the beach where he admits that he is scared for the first time in his life. I think everyone can relate to Rocky's feelings. It is amazing the impact fear can have on our lives. Fear is an interesting emotion that can either spur us into action, or freeze us in our tracks. I am interested in what motivates people to turn their fear into a positive force that pushes one beyond their ordinary capacity. I made the comment last week, that fear can be unlearned... and believe that it can if the person really wants to overcome the fear. A perfect example is public speaking, which has been said to be the number one fear, even ahead of fear of death. Here are the Top 10 Fears that I have found searching this topic.
1. Fear of public speaking (Glossophobia)
2. Fear of death (Necrophobia)
3. Fear of spiders (Arachnophobia)
4. Fear of darkness (Achluophobia, Scotophobia or Myctophobia)
5. Fear of heights (Acrophobia)
6. Fear of people or social situations (Sociophobia)
7. Fear of flying (Aerophobia)
8. Fear of open spaces(Agoraphobia)
9. Fear of thunder and lightning(Brontophobia)
10. Fear of confined spaces(Claustrophobia)

When I was younger I remember thinking about how to become more outgoing. For some reason, I learned to be reserved and quiet as I gradually grew older. In the 10th grade, I observed a friend who was a year older - he was often loud and some would say obnoxious. But, to me he seemed to be happy and trying to make others happy. So, I decided that I would "be" more outgoing. I acted inspite of my fears when I was around others. I chose to put my faith and courage ahead of my fears. I continue to look inside daily and force myself outside of my comfort zone, because I know this habit will help me on my way to attaining my personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment